Wednesday, April 14, 2010

And the Diagnosis is: Narcissistic Personality Disorder

This was my second essay where I did a psychological analysis of one of the characters, Kyra, from T. C. Boyle's Tortilla Curtain. I really took pride in this piece because it tied in to what I was learning in my introductory psychology class. From a psychological standpoint, I diagnosed Mrs. Mossbacher with narcissistic personality disorder.
A couple of sentences that were commented on as well developed and bringing my ideas together were: "This action assists in confirming Kyra’s narcissistic view of herself that she is more successful than other contending real estate agents" and "Her excessive list reflects her desire to present an over-the-top dinner in order to impress her guests. She strives to have only the best to exaggerate her achievements and therefore expects the admiration and even jealousy of others, implying the narcissistic personality disorder." I also believe that this essay was effectively well organized as I split up my arguments into several paragraphs with fluent topic sentences such as: "Kyra’s concealed inferiority is also displayed by her inability to protect her pet dog from a coyote with a fence."
One improvement that could be made would be staying focused throughout the entire essay as I seem to lose the main thread at times. I just had so many ideas and different psychological concepts that I wanted to correlate to the personality disorder that I tended to cram them in there. An example of sentence that is disconnected from the narcissistic issue is: "Kyra’s mindset exemplifies the scapegoat theory, as described in Exploring Psychology, that prejudice offers an outlet for anger by providing someone to blame (Meyers 559)." It was a good point but isn't completely focused on the essay's topic.
Overall, I enjoyed experimenting with a psychological analysis where I could use what I have learned outside of this particular literature class.

No comments:

Post a Comment