Friday, April 30, 2010

Footprints in the Sand


God works in truly mysterious ways. This past Monday was our final Into to Lit night class. Professor Hargon decided to discuss the topic of poetry. He asked the class to share some of their favorite poems and one student read "Footprints in the Sand." I had heard this one before and although I had kind of forgotten about it, I would say it is one of my favorites as well. I remember sitting in class and thinking about how powerful the words and message of this poem is in times of trials. Who knew that it would come up a few days later when I needed it most? My family just heard a piece of news that basically rocked our world. It's been hard on all of us and I feel at loss for words at times. My dad came to campus yesterday to talk. During our conversation he brought up the "Footprints in the Sand" poem that he had just read and how it is so applicable to our lives right now. I told him that we had just read that poem in my lit class earlier in the week and knew that it was no coincidence. He was reminded, and was reminding me, that God is carrying us through this low period. I love the picture this poem paints and the comfort it brings, especially now. Just like the person in the poem, it is easy to be doubtful and difficult to understand why things happen, but God is always there to say he is not only right beside me, but carrying me. I know that my Father is holding me and my family and I will see what he has planned through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment